From Saturday 04 March 2017
To Saturday 18 March 2017
Saturday 04 March 2017
The joint Alpine Club/Climbers Club Canadian Ice Climbing Meet is back!
Based once again in Canmore, the epicentre of Canadian ice-climbing, this meet is open to a total of nine participants only. With reliable conditions and access to classic areas such as Lake Louise, Bow Valley, Ghost River, Stanley Headwall, Kananaskis, Yoho and the Icefields Parkway this is an unmissable treat for ice climbers operating at all levels.
This meet is timed to allow participants to also attend the joint CC/AC Rjukan Ice Fest, as well as the CC Chamonix Skiing and Climbing meet.
Whilst it won’t be a cheap trip, the absence of hotel fees will help to keep your costs down considerably.
Self-catered, private accommodation in Canmore, close to all amenities.
Getting there and away:
- March 4th
- Fly to Calgary (Airport code: YYC) (various departure airports).
- Collect hire cars as previously arranged.
- Drive to Canmore - 90km, taking around an hour and a half in good conditions.
- March 18th
- Travel back to Calgary airport, return hire cars and travel home/onwards.
NOTE: Canada will be cold - it can get down to minus thirty degrees centigrade so pack accordingly. You’ll also need more ice-screws because the pitches tend to be longer than in Europe.
See this recent destination guide on UKC for more information:
- Flights - participants will need to arrange their flights to coordinate with onward travel to Canmore from Calgary. British Airways seem to have a good deal on direct flights from Heathrow at just under £600, with WestJet offering just under £400 for direct flights out from Gatwick and indirect flights back.
- Because we are staying in private accommodation there will be NO hotel bills! However, participants will make a contribution to the owner for heating, lighting and the other costs of putting us up.
- Hire car - we will need to hire cars, almost certainly including one 4x4 for any trips to the legendary Ghost River. The number and cost of vehicles will be agreed once we have all the participants signed-up and people have discussed the venues they wish to visit.
- This meet is self-catering and we will all contribute to the communal meals of which we partake.
- 01286 871480 (say your name after the beep or I won’t pick up!)
- 07952 535225