A quick conditions update, though the weather forecast for the coming week is not good:
There has been a lot of activity since the last update but the conditions have changed following the recent snowfall together with winds at altitude.
Skis are still the best way to approach/ return from the routes.
Do not forget to contact the hut wardens to check that they are open and to make a reservation!
This morning, 14th May, there was between 5 to 20 cm of fresh snow between 2100 et 2700 m and an average of 30 cm above 3000 m. With the wind at altitude, expect drifting.
The following was done last week:
- Dômes de Miage, (walking now as far as the Tré la Tête)
- Arête Mettrier
- Mont Blanc by the 3 Monts and the Grands Mulets (ice is still present on the N ridge.)
- Contamine-Negri, Goulotte Chéré (little ice), M6 Solar, Pellissier et Gabarrou-Albinoni (crux pitch dry).
- Couloir Gervasutti on the Tour Ronde, the bergschrund goes on the true left.
- Traverses of the Pointes Lachenal, the Cosmiques and the Aiguilles Marbrées
- Activity also in the Argentière sector, (Swiss Route, Austrian route, Y Couloir….) Due to work expected to last until Autumn, the approach via the Pierre à Ric and a part of Lognan-Plan Joran closed by local bye law. Please respect the restrictions in place.
- Ski touring still popular in the Mont Buet sector. It is necessary to walk as far as the Vordette bridge and then several sections above that. An early start is essential!
- The road up to Emosson is now open, giving access to some good ski touring.
For hikers, there is still a lot of snow at mid altitudes. Most of the paths above 2000m (S side) and 1700/1800m (N side) will not be practical for several weeks. (Grands Balcons North and South, lakes at altitude…) Also, as winter has only just ended some paths have not been re-equipped, (bridges, chains or ladders.) or simply closed for work.
Check before you start.