Conditions are generally very good throughout the massive.
- Albert 1er : Most of the peaks in this area are being regularly climbed. This includes the Forbes ridge, despite some ice on the “Bosse”. 2 x 50m ropes are necessary for the descent.
- Argentière : The conditions remain good for the summer classics in this sector, especially the Aiguille d’Argentière. The Petite Aiguille Verte is also in good condition.
- Charpoua : The old approach directly opposite Montenvers has been dismantled. The approach is now by the new path, which starts after about an hour’s walk up the Mer de Glace. However, the approach for the Flammes de Pierre is via some rock climbing just below the first ice pinnacles opposite Montenvers, (you can see the topos on the Chamoniarde.com website.) For the Normal route and the traverse of the Drus you need to go very high up the Charpoua glacier and cross it before descending to the start of the routes. The rock climbing near the hut is in condition, e.g. Sale Athée.
- Couvercle : There has been nobody for several days on the snow routes on the Droites and the Courtes. The Jardin Ridge to the Aiguille Verte is in good condition, descent by abseilling down the Whymper if it is well frozen. Some parties have done the Grands Montets ridge, likewise for the rock climbs near the hut. The bergschrund below the Armand Charlet S gully is no longer passable.
- Leschaux : A party did Manitua in 3 days, another party went for the Shroud, (no further information.) The W Face of the Petites Jorasses is dry. The rock climbing near the hut is also good, notably on the Aiguille Pierre Joseph.
- Requin : the descent from the Midi-Plan to the Requin is still OK; likewise for the ascent or descent of the Vallée Blanche. The Renaudie and the Pierre-Alain are being climbed.
- Envers des Aiguilles : Parties continue to go for the E Face of the Grépon, the Aig de la République and the routes near the hut. However, the bergschrund for Subtilité Dulférienne, and Amazonia are very difficult to cross. No news concerning the Ryan, though it appears to be OK.
- Torino : Generally very good conditions for this sector, with lots of parties going for the Rochefort Arete and the traverse of the Jorasses. The Kuffner Ridge, (2 axes recommended for the direct gully at the start,) and the traverse of the Aiguilles du Diable are also popular. The N face of the Tour Ronde and the satellites of the Tacul have been done recently.
- Monzino : a lot of activity on the Peuterey integral, the Pilier Rouge, the Pointe Baretti and the Brouillard. 2 parties on the Central Pillar of Freney, 14/08.
- Cosmiques : the Contamine on the Triangle du Tacul and the 3 Monts traverse are being done regularly. Some parties have also done the full traverse from Durier hut.
The rock climbs on the S face of the Aiguille du Midi and the Pointes Lachenal are also popular.
- Plan de l’Aiguille : The Frendo Spur and the rock routes in this sector are popular. Crampons recommended for the approach to Nabot Léon and neighbouring routes.
- Grands Mulets : conditions remain good and the hut is guarded, (do not forget to reserve.)
- Durier : the traverse of the Bionnassay is still in condition.
- Les Conscrits : the traverses of the Dômes de Miage and the Aiguilles de Tré la Tête to the Lex Blanche are both in condition. The descent by the Col des Glaciers is still OK.
For the hikers there are not really any problems, except for a patch of steep snow at the Col de la Glière, as well as patches of snow near the Col de Salenton on the Bérard side and beneath the summit of the Buet.